Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Our Trip Up North

Those of you that have known me awhile know that our family's lake house on Burt Lake in northern Michigan is one of my most favorite places in the world. When I was younger our family would spend two weeks "up north" each summer where some of my most cherished childhood memories were made. Abby and I got to spend last week up north with family and had a wonderful time. We missed Matthew of course and were happy to come home to him after being away for a week.

Some of the best things about being up north:
1. Weather - We got to spend almost all day everyday outside in 75 -80 degree weather.
2. Listening to the water lap against the lake shore - is there a more peaceful sound? I can't think of one.
3. Relaxation - As Becki said best this past week, when you come up north all of your worries just go away and you can completely relax.
4. The grass and flowers - The grass is so soft and the flowers are absolutely beautiful.
5. Boat rides on a huge, gorgeous lake.
6. Traveling to a place where everything just gets more beautiful year after year - all the same families have owned the same cottages for generations and they really do get more beautiful each year but at the same time stay so familiar.
7. Getting to spend time in a very uncommercialized part of the country...
I don't think this list does it justice but it really is a special place to our family.

Me (yes, I look more pregnant than 4 months!), Abby, Auntie Becki, Abram, Mom and Hannah (Uncle B's wonderful girlfriend) making Hannah's delicious cinnamon rolls.

Uncle B and Hannah with the kids by the pier at Harbor Springs (and adorable little northern Michigan town).

Ben and Me - we took a picture just like this in this same place when I was 16 and Ben was 9!


Our little Baylor Bears in their double stroller - looking back at this picture I don't think they were that happy at the moment.

Abram and Abby playing in the pool.

Cousin Tommy had the great idea of letting the kids play on this keyboard - they spent hours making music.


Hannah, Uncle B and Abby on a jet ski ride - it was just a little cool that morning!

Cousin Lisa and Auntie Becki on the boat.

Abby and Captain Pop.

5 comments:

Susi said...

looks like y'all had a great time....and Naomi, your tummy is sooooo cute!! can't wait to meet this little Reyes!
love you miss you alllllllll,
bebe

The Armstrong Family said...

What a great trip! It sounds wonderful and I am so glad you had a great time and are home safely.
We are watching the Love & Respect video in our small group and are really enjoying it. Such a great message!
Hope you are feeling great and that we see each other soon!

Mary Helen said...

Hey, Naomi! You look so adorable pregnant. I am so glad you had a good trip. I talked to Becki a few days before you left and she was looking forward to it as well. Glad everything turned out wonderfully! Those kids are just soooo cute!!!

The Wells Family said...

what fun memories that you guys will continue to make! you look great BTW - you should see me now.....

Mike Sharrow said...

ahh...it makes me miss nice summers by Lake Michigan!

But, we were glad to have you back here in SA!